Thursday, February 19, 2015

What's for Dinner?

I spend lots of time (probably too much) looking at recipes in my cookbooks, and online.  I'm always searching for the perfect meal - tasty and healthy.  I don't always succeed at that. Sometimes the food is more healthy/less tasty...sometimes the opposite.  But, I've definitely found plenty of foods that I can feed my family and feel good about it.  We don't eat 100% 'clean', but we come close.  I rarely have processed/boxed/frozen/etc foods on the dinner table (or in my house for that matter).  My meat is almost always organic, but only some of the vegetables are.  For me, it's a matter of picking and choosing what I can buy organic based on budget.

If you're looking to feed your family a little (or a lot) healthier, here's a list of ideas for dinnertime foods that you might try.  I'm not including the recipes - most of these foods are pretty basic - BUT, if there are any you would like the recipe for, or have questions about, leave a comment below.  I'm happy to help.  Feel free to also share what you find works for you:)  

Proteins
Chicken - boneless, skinless breasts or tenderloins (grilled or baked with a variety of spices)
Beef - ground (made into meatballs, meatloaf, tacos, etc)
Beef - steaks (grilled - always a crowd pleaser)
Fish - grilled or baked in the oven
Pork - tenderloin

Veggies 
Cauliflower - oven roasted
Broccoli - steamed or oven roasted
Carrots - steamed or oven roasted
Green Beans - steamed
Asparagus - oven roasted
Zucchini/Squash - oven roasted
Potatoes (sweet, red or white) - baked, oven roasted
Salad - this one I'm careful with.  After years of the kids dousing theirs with ranch dressing, I no longer buy ranch.  They use vinagrettes.  And I put tons of veggies in separate bowls for the salad. It leaves more dishes to clean, but I find the kids pile more on this way. When It's all in a bowl, the cut up veggies tend to fall to the bottom.

Other Sides
Rice - whole grain
Couscous
Quinoa



That's much of it - what we eat over the course of a week.  I mix and match in all different ways.  Often I make 2 veggie sides and no grain.  And there are other things we'll have sometimes.  But really, this is my go-to list of dinner items in my memory bank.  Now, I've made enough of these foods that I don't really need to use recipes, but I still look from time to time to spice things up, and add new flavors.  And yes, on occasion (rarely) we have a pasta dish.  It's not about all or nothing in my house.  I strive for balance, which for me means that the majority of what we eat is clean, and once in a while we indulge in richer meals. Start small.  Pick one or two new vegetables to try this week.  You might find that you're eating a lot of the same things at first, but you can expand on it as you find comfortable.  

The nice thing about eating this way most of the time, is that you don't have to stress or feel guilt if you indulge one night here and there.  And if this becomes your habit, you will probably find that you make healthier choices when you go out to eat.  As for the kids - they'll get used to it.  You've heard me say that there were complaints when I first changed over to healthier eating. But that has stopped.  They really don't complain about not having fast food, soda or sweets.  In fact, my 'picky eater' tonight voluntarily took seconds of cauliflower.  I kid you not.  If that can happen in this house, I'm certain your pickiest eater will do just find if you add healthier food to your menus. 

~ Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment